J+Z

J+Z

K1

K1

K2

K2

K3

K3

About Me

My photo
The stories of our family of 5 living in the Oregon sunshine while Zach gets his PhD. We're on the downhill slide of grad school, so let's get ready to party......

Followers

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

ohhhh SUUUUNSHIIIINE!!!!!!

It is SO beautiful today - I am ecstatic!! I love it, man, what a gorgeous day!! Hope you are all enjoying some nice weather, wherever you may be. Tara P, I wish I had a little Houston heat right about now, but I will settle with my sunshine :-)
Sooooo.....I feel like I am always playing catch-up lately. Has anyone else had some super crazy weeks? Quick recap: Went down to my family's for Easter; came back, cleaned up the house (sort of) packed up and took off for SunRiver, this fun resort outside of Bend, OR. Some friends of ours invited us to stay at their bosses cabin with them and have a weekend off! It was so fun! Minus the psychotic drive through blizzard/whiteout conditions in the Cascades....... It was a blast though. We really only had Saturday to do stuff, but we packed it full! It was fun for Keegan to have some buddies to play with. Heather and Mark have two kiddos, Jessie and Curren, and Keegan had so much fun with them! The kids played out in the snow ALL morning Saturday, sledding, running around, throwing snowballs, and doing all the fun things you should as a kid! We then drove around and found a little bigger hill and took the kids sledding down it. Zach and Mark wowed us with their skills on this little snowboard-like contraption. We enjoyed some good laughs at their expense! After some lunch at the Aloha BBQ (if you ever go to SunRiver, EAT HERE. SO YUMMY.) we went to Mavericks. It's this new "atheltic club" sort of thing that they have built there. The main draw is that it has the FLOWRIDER I know - the name just inspires awe, huh? It is this wave thing that you can surf on. Mark is a big surfer, so he wanted to check it out, and Zach was game for it as well. He hasn't surfed very much (behind my parents boat a few times) but he had fun trying it out! While the boys tried out their surfing skills, Heather and I played with the kids in the pool. They had a fun kiddy pool their with a slide and Keegan had SO much fun!! He got pretty cold after a while, but I would ask him if he was done and he would say "No way! I'm going to go play with Jessie!" He also developed a crush on Jessie over the weekend. We picked up my sister Jessie from the airport yesterday, and Keegan says "You know there are two Jessies? I have a friend Jessie, and I love her. And I have you, my Aunt Jessie!" Apparently he differentiates between the two by which one he loves ;-) Just kidding Jess! You KNOW Keeg loves you - no doubt about it!

On the way home from SunRiver, I fell off the wagon. I've been holding out on starting the Twilight series, but Zach had already started reading it and wanted me to read it too so we could talk about it. Plus, my family and a bunch of my friends have been telling me to read it. Not that I didn't want too, but I am caught up in this Wheel of Time series, and I wasn't sure if I was willing to put it down long enough to read a different series.......Ummm, yeah. I don't know what my problem was. If you haven't read the Twilight series, do it. No other choice. It's pretty good, and an easy read, and it just sucks you in. I started the first one on the way home Sunday, finished it and the second one by about 2 am Sunday night, and then I finished the 3rd one last night. I would have read the 3rd one Monday, but Zach wasn't quite done with it so he took it to school. All in all, they are some cool books and I am anxiously awaiting the fourth one. August seems entirely too far away....... It was fun to pick up Jessie from the airport though and be able to talk with her about the books. Awesome sister that she is, she shared with me "Edward and Bella's soundtrack" courtesy of her roomie Kate (who is TOTALLY awesome). Kate made a "soundtrack" of songs that fit the story. Corny to some of you it may be, but I love it, and it has been playing nonstop on my MP3 player.

On a side note, yesterday was April 1 - I know, I know, April Fools you are thinking? No. It was the BME day! Some of you may be wondering what this is - I know I was. But Zach opened my eyes.....for those of you who don't know he is getting his PhD in BioMedical Engineering (BME). This isn't what BME day is though. BME day was the "Big Mustache Event" day. Trust me, I wanted to run screaming as soon as I heard too! I guess all the guys in the department (do grad students have NOTHING to do?!) decided that they were going to grow out their nasty facial hair and on April 1, tame it all down to a mustache. I am including Zach's before and after pics. He has had his goatee since we left BYU-Idaho, so he hasn't shaved it since 2004. I can't say that I am a big fan, but at least it isn't JUST a mustache. I HATE mustaches. Ewwwww. Jace, you should be proud, his 'stache made me think of yours!

12 comments:

ollie said...

I don't get why every mormon is into the whole "Twilight" series. I think every "utah" mormon here is reading it. You westerners are so strange!

Zach 'n' Jack said...

Oh ollie, pull your nose out of your weird kentucky backwoods :-) get out and check out what the western porch monkeys are reading!! I bet you might even like it. :-)

Andrew and Melissa said...

I have tried to get Andrew to read the Twilight series but every time I mentioned it he gave me the "yeah right" look. Maybe if I tell him Zack has read it he'll be more persuaded.

thepainterfamily said...

SUN YEAH! And your weekend sounded like SO MUCH FUN! and SHEESH...you are a FAST reader! WOW! I read Twilight...and liked it, but not enough to keep going (I know, I know, that makes me an outcast!) I think perhaps someday I will pick up the other two...SO many books to read...so little time! Of course, if I could read all 3 books in two days like you...then I might not have that problem! :) (Sending some Houston rays your way....without the electric bill)

christa said...

I don't know if that counts as a 'stache it looks more like a wierd goatee. Let's see a Tom Selleck style. It's not my husband so maybe I can have fun at your expense! ;)
I too have never read the Twilight series.

ollie said...

Fortunately for me, here in Kentucky they don't teach you to read. So, I guess I'm out of luck!!! ;-)

Zach 'n' Jack said...

lol, well that explains a lot ollie! ;-)

Danielle said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA. may matt never see these pictures and feel inspired... :):):)

Jessica G said...

I told you you would love the soundtrack....it's freakin awesome. That's why I missed Kate so much when I listened too it. Plus...where you not distressed when the book ended. Ollie needs to read it. Perhaps I will just randomly start posting snippits on her comment section of her blog. What do you think? Can we suck her in that way?

Natalie said...

Wow you have been busy! Looks like tons of fun. I was a little disappointed to hear that Keeg has moved on. I guess so much for arranged marriage. I guess you can't mess with true love.

Zach 'n' Jack said...

Don't worry Nat - I'm sure it's just a passing crush!! :-)

Heather said...

That is not a mustache Zack! Come on now, let's do a real one LOL! :D

I am so glad you came with us, we had a great time *hugs*