Surprise! I'm a slacker. I meant to post this last weekend, right after it had occurred, but I didn't. Get over it :-) Last Friday, was the first annual (at least I hope it becomes annual) Iron Rod Culinary Classic! Basically, the Rock Creek Ward version of Iron Chef. It was AWESOME! Props to Zach and Kasey J., the head organizers of this totally fun event. They pulled off a great activity, with their limited EQ budget and the ward taking over and all other such "speed bumps" shall we say?
So here is how it went down:
Sign up sheets went around in the usual fashion; teams were created, and on the appointed night, met up at one of the local high schools kind enough to let us in to demolish their culinary arts department! Luckily, we have our very own professional chef in our ward, and he came up with the evening's "surprise" menu. There were two versions of each dish, one simplified, one more advanced for those looking for a challenge. Team captains were given ingredient lists prior so that they could come prepared with supplies needed. Each team was assigned their kitchen, the recipes were handed out, and the timer began! We cooked and cooked and mixed and cooked some more. Finally, the food was finished and most importantly - plated with style! It was really fun and REALLY delicious. It was fun to see Zach getting in the thick of things and helping out in the kitchens! He usually comes home in time to sit down and eat with us. I know he would help out if he was home while I was making dinner, but that is what happens when you don't get home until 6:30pm. I can't START making dinner then - we would never eat! Anyway - that is totally irrelevant. The food was fantastic, and all the teams did a great job. Being married to the organizer has its ups and downs. The up side is that we were on the team with the pro chef! The down side is, this made us ineligible for competing. Something about tipping the scales.... I don't know what they were talking about!
The head honchos
Zach slicin' and dicin' in the kitchen! (hold the applause....)
Caught red-handed. That's all I have to say DAN.
I know it's blurry, but I think we are cute :-)
The madness! A tight squeeze for everyone, but so fun!
Slaving away over a hot stove never looked so good, right? ;-) come on, humor me...
Taste testing the chocolate mousse, mmmmmm!! Showing his big muscles - Zach beat the egg whites BY HAND!
The fruits (or veggies and chicken) of our labor!
Another up side of being married to one of the head honchos? I have all the recipes! If you want any, just let me know and I will email you a copy! None of them are that complicated, and they were really delicious - my favorite was the sesame seed chicken salad.
The menu:
Spanish chicken & rice
Sesame seed chicken salad with vinaigrette
Poached pears and chocolate mousse
7 years ago
12 comments:
Oh my goodness!!! This is absolutely hands down the COOLEST church activity I have EVER heard of! What a fun fun time for everyone! I love that you were about to use the schools food department! AND YES I would LOVE them recipes! It all sounds (and looks) so yum! Good job!
not "about to" but "able to"...sorry! no proofing!
Sounds like fun, especially since you like that show so much! You look really cute Jackie!
How fun is that!! Wow your ward knows how to have a good time! Sounds like a U-Ward activity night! Miss those days. Anyway your little one is a doll! Love the hair! He looks like a your side of the family all the way to me!
yum... of course I want the chocolate mousse. even though i heard about it on the way back to my car, the pics help!
Totally fun activity idea. I loved the pictures; you're right, slaving over a hot stove has never looked better!
That sounded so fun, I was bummed when Dan came home and told me how much fun you had. I would love the recipes!!
What a cool activity!!!!!!!!!
I want everything! Looks so good. I don't have a sesame chicken recipe yet. my email is my first and last name and msn.com
For the sauce on the pizza I used ranch and a little of regular pizza sauce(my fav comes in a squeeze bottle at winco)and just stirred it-I added enough to give it a pink color. Everything else is basic...cooked chicken cubed, crumbled bacon, olives, a little cheese, the dough was from winco too...I'm not domestic/patient enough to make my own.
You do look very cute in the kitchen.
What a fun time. Send us the recipes. That seems like something that Bri would love.
What a cute couple at a fun activity! Love you guys!
Sweet activity. I think the salad looks yummy. Send us the recipee.
Post a Comment