J+Z

J+Z

K1

K1

K2

K2

K3

K3

About Me

My photo
The stories of our family of 5 living in the Oregon sunshine while Zach gets his PhD. We're on the downhill slide of grad school, so let's get ready to party......

Followers

Friday, May 2, 2008

Help for sick kids

This week the boys have both had the rotten cold that is going around. Keegan especially has developed a really bad cough that has made sleeping next to impossible for him. He sounds like he is going to lose his lungs. Tonight, I tried a home remedy for sore throats and coughs. I have only heard him cough ONCE since I put him to bed, and this whole week he has coughed for an hour or longer before he finally can fall asleep. I also gave him a hot shower, hoping the steam would open things up for him, so maybe it was the combination, but I thought I would pass it along. I am amazed that this worked so well, especially when I have been dosing him with cough syrup to try and stop his cough!

Mix 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice; heat in microwave for 15-20 seconds until warm (NOT HOT). Have child drink a spoonful at a time (after the first few spoonfuls, I just had Keegan drink it down).
It isn't that pleasant, he said it was pretty sour, but he still managed to get it down. Personally, I have major issues with cough syrup, so I would try this over cough syrup ANY day. Just thought I would share it - one of those random bits of information that may come in handy someday when your kids have a bad cough that needs help!

**Remember - do not feed honey to babies under 1 year old**

7 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

REALLY!? This is so cool! Not that my kids are sick at the moment, but a cough is the WORST because it is so disruptive to good sleep! Nice to know that I will have a trick up my sleeve next time we battle the sickies! thanks!

christa said...

Do you know the Bjarnasons? She has a remedy that she got from her husbands dad (a Doctor) it has something to do with putting a tablespoon of vodka in your humidifier and it does something to the air molecules. I ask her about it and tell you more. She said it totally works, but I can't remember if it's for coughing or chest congestion.

Vanessa said...

hey girlie...just to make sure- if the coughing doesn't from the cough syrup, chase needed breathing treatments. some kids cough instead of wheezing! thanks for the great recipe! hope they are feeling better soon and that you are getting sleep! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey where did you get your background? It's sweet.
Hope the kids get better soon!

Andrew and Melissa said...

I have noticed that cough syrup never works for my boys either. I will have to try this method next time they get sick.

Jessica G said...

Did Christa just tell you to give your kids vodka?? LOL!! I'm glad it worked.

Rebecca said...

I hope your little ones are feeling better too! It stinks to have sick kids! Poor things! Love the Mardi Gras picts of Keegan! What a ham! Love it!