So, I don't know about the rest of you, but Elder Ballard's talk was my favorite. I'm guessing that for the rest of you that are like me, it was probably close to if not your favorite as well. It was obvious to me that he was inspired by the Lord. As of late, I have been troubled by a recent and unwanted visitor - Monster Mom. I hate it. I know I seem to fool many of you, but I can't get a handle on this two kids thing. This is going to be kind of a different blog for me; I am usually not so comfortable with baring my faults for everyone to see...... I think my biggest problem is I can't learn to let things go and (as Elder Ballard said) 'enjoy the moment.' I always feel one step behind (or two, or three....) no matter what I do, and I can never catch up. I can't find enough time to get everything done. Sadly, I think I mostly end up taking it out on Keegan. There are times I get uptight with Kayden, but it goes quickly - he's my sweet baby. But the sad thing is, Keegan isn't any different. He is just as innocent and sweet and just as dependent on me, if not in the same ways. I feel horrible when I snap at him. Argh. Anyway, Elder Ballard's talk (aside from making me cry) gave me a feeling of comfort that Heavenly Father knows how I am feeling that He wants to help me do better. I am going to try my hardest to lock Monster Mom away.
Aside from that, I thought President Monson was the sweetest! I loved hearing him talk about his family, especially when he talked about his Grandfather and Uncle having part in bringing his own sweet wife into the church. What a special story! It is incredible to me to see how easily he fills the shoes of the prophet. It seems such a testament to the truthfulness of the gospel at how smoothly he stepped up. I love knowing for myself that he truly is the prophet and leader of our church and that I was able to sustain him as such. I have always loved President Monson, and I am excited to see the things the Lord will have him do.
For the most part, Zach and I were actually able to enjoy most of conference. Kayden's naps at 9:30 and 1:30, and Keegan naps in the afternoon with Kayden, so it worked out perfectly! Keegan actually did pretty well, thanks in large part to these cool conference activity packets from Amy H.! Thanks SO much!! Other than conference, our weekend was pretty laid back. I think that is part of why I love conference weekend so much - it gives me an excuse not to do anything but sit on the couch in my jammies and snuggle with my family.
But this conference definitely inspired me to make some goals and work hard at them. I am going to BECOME (you BYUI folks, remember Elder Bednar's devotional?) who I want to be. And I'm going to have Zach follow Elder Ballard's advice and give me a day off..... party anyone? :-)
7 years ago
6 comments:
You are a fabulous mom! The Monster comes out in all of us sometimes...some of us more than others...but we all know exactly what you are talking about. I also love the family stories that President Monson shared! I love his humor. I have to admit that I have been mourning President Hinckley and was so sad to have General Conference without him. What a blessing it is to have such wonderful leaders and to know that there is order in how the church is run. You can tell that the Lord is the head of this work.
Hey Jackie! Let me start by saying I know Monster Mom personally myself! :) Also, its not that you are "fooling" us, or being inauthentic...I know I for one assume each of us has our Monster Mom days! :) No one is 100% patient or perfect. I loved Elder Ballard's talk as well, and it brought tears to my eyes and peace to my heart! It also reminded me of another talk that I have turned to frequently for hope and encouragement. I would totally recomend you look it up! It is called "Because She Is a Mother" and was given by Elder Holland. It appeared first in the Ensign in 1997...so concidering I was still probably reading the New Era (and you too)...you might not have read this one! There are parts that make me cry and parts that make me laugh, but overall, after I read it...I feel a tremendous about of encouragement...and hey, I think that is what ALL mothers (young or old) need! :) LOVE YA!
Oh Jackie, I'm glad you wrote this. I feel like I'm monster mom too. I don't know if it's the gloomy weather (that's what I like to think), or what, but you're not alone. Yesterday I told Jack to shut up, and Derek was like don't ever say that to him. I felt so bad that I yelled at my 20 month old. I LOVED Elder Ballard's talk too. Derek and I finished up the last hour before bed last night and it was one of my favorites. He was speaking right to us. Talk about inspiration. I love you. You are a fantastic, incredible mom, and I love having other friends to talk to about these kind of things! :)
Sadly I fell asleep during most of this talk...I did catch peices of it. Apparently I will have to rewatch it. I think it's the only talk I really missed. There were tons of good talks and I too loved Pres. Monson sharing so much of himself and being so layed back. It was fun to see him take on the mantel of the prophet. Elder Bednars talk was one of my favorites. Oh and I found Keegs "puter" in my car the other day...just so you know.
Ahhhh you guys - I love you all so much! Thanks for making me feel better :-)
I would have to say that his talk made me cry too. I have been feeling totally inadequate to be becoming a mom of three. His talk made me want to be a better mom and not get upset with my children so easlily. By the way, I have always thought you were a great mom!
Post a Comment