J+Z

J+Z

K1

K1

K2

K2

K3

K3

About Me

My photo
The stories of our family of 5 living in the Oregon sunshine while Zach gets his PhD. We're on the downhill slide of grad school, so let's get ready to party......

Followers

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

{brotherly love}




This picture makes me crazy happy.


Do you see how he's holding Kyler's hand?




I was making dinner. Kyler was fussing on the floor. Kayden was whining about being hungry.

Keegan saved the day.

He's awesome like that.

He grabbed a book, called Kayden over, and read the book while holding Kyler's hand and making sure to show the pictures to both of his brothers. My heart almost burst with happiness.

Lately, Keegan hasn't been getting much face time on the blog, and probably not enough at home either. So I just wanted to take a moment and give him his fifteen minutes of fame for the day.

He is the sweetest big brother. Seriously. Kayden and Kyler, I hope you boys realize someday how lucky you are to have him. He is so loving and tender-hearted. Sometimes his tender heart makes him a little overly-sensitive, but he tries so hard to do the best job he can. The other day, when he had been struggling to be obedient to some instructions, I was reminding him (apparently a little too intensely) that he needed to set a good example for his brothers. He burst into tears and exclaimed "It's SO HARD taking care of 2 brothers ALL BY MYSELF!" I almost started laughing, but held it in, because.....he was serious. I know exactly how he feels :-) I wrapped him up in a big hug and told him that Daddy and I were here to help, and that as a family we worked together to take care of each other. It was so sweet to see him so concerned about being the big brother and looking out for his little brothers, but I guess I need to work on easing the burden on his little shoulders!

Most of the time when I'm trying to get him to hurry up in the mornings for school, it's because he is either covering Kyler with kisses and calling him "cutie-Kyler" or because he and Kayden are playing and being silly over their breakfast. It seems that most of the things he and Kayden are sent to timeout for is because they get too wild in their play together. I'm so happy they enjoy being together, and I can only imagine (and wait very patiently) what it will be like when Kyler is old enough to join in!!

Keegan LOVES kindergarten. His favorite days are when they have PE. He is reading like cRaZy. He has read through my entire stash of Boxcar Children, finishes the book he checks out from the school library the same day he brings it home (Magic Tree House series, he loves them), and loves to have his turn reading in the scriptures with us at night. I love to hear him read stories to his brothers, and cringe at the things I know he reads on advertisements. Billboards, commercials, newspapers. Reading is a blessing and a curse.....

He is so helpful, too. He's always asking me what he can do to help, whether it be with dinner, with his brothers, laundry, cleaning. Don't get me wrong, sometimes he balks when I ask him to do a chore, but for the most part, he is really helpful. One night when I was getting Kayden into the tub and was going to get Kyler in with him, I came out from finishing with Kayden to find Keegan had undressed Kyler - all by himself! Kyler was in his diaper just smiling away at Keegan, and I was so proud of him!

Keegan, you are such a sweetheart. I love you so much. I love it when you and I can go places together by ourselves (he's planning a date for us to go see 'How to Train Your Dragon') and I love how wonderful you are to your brothers. I love how many questions you ask and how you love to share your testimony. You give the sweetest prayers and always try to remember everyone that needs help ('please bless Haiti and Chile to get better from their earthquakes') and are so thoughtful. I'm amazed at how quick you learn and your ability to remember things.

Tonight we were driving back from a Cub Scout pack meeting (just Keegan and I) and he told me he only has 34 more days left of kindergarten. I couldn't believe it! I told him that he was getting too old, too fast, and that I wanted him to go back to being a baby so I could do it all over again. He laughed and pretended to cry like a baby. I jokingly said "Hmm, maybe not!" But really? I kind of do. I can't believe how fast it has gone. He's almost 6, almost in 1st grade, and such a big boy. Slow down, buddy! I love you!

7 comments:

Jesse said...

Your boys are really so very scrumptious. All of 'em!

Danielle said...

he is such a sweet handsome boy...i can only imagine how proud you guys are of him! :)

Vicki said...

LOVE those boys!

The Barton's said...

Thanks for sharing such wonderful things about Keegan. I know that sometimes with the oldest child, we forget to remember to recognize them but more like expect them to be what they are. I love my Keegan. He is such a great little guy. I love all of you.

thepainterfamily said...

oh jackie, what a sweet sweet and smart little boy you have!

Tara said...

I love that picture-it's just so natural. What a sweet little boy. I miss little Keegan. I guess not so little anymore. Would I even recognize him??

Kristi Barnes said...

I always thought Keegan was a sweetheart! That is so cute. You are such a good mother to have such good boys. I love how he is holding Kyler's hand and reading to them. How long has he been reading? That's awesome!