J+Z

J+Z

K1

K1

K2

K2

K3

K3

About Me

My photo
The stories of our family of 5 living in the Oregon sunshine while Zach gets his PhD. We're on the downhill slide of grad school, so let's get ready to party......

Followers

Monday, September 15, 2008

Did you miss me?

Did I worry you? No? Too bad.... No, Hurricane Ike did not keep me away from my computer, but I sincerely hope my Texan buddies (Alissa & Tara) are doing ok! I love you guys, and hope that your homes and families are safe and well. Any updates would be appreciated!
My absence can be summed up in one word. MOVING. Let me recap: The boys and I returned home from Idaho Falls Sept. 4th. To a different house. Uh-huh, Zach moved (with the fabulous help of family and friends and home-teachers!) about 90% of our stuff while we were still gallivanting in Idaho. The boys and I were so grateful to be home, I don't think we even noticed the mess, we just took one look at our beds and ran for them! Kayden especially, he missed his bed a lot! After that, Friday we spent trying to put a few things away so that the mess was 'livable.' Saturday, I cleaned the old house, Sunday was a much needed break, and then Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we PAINTED. Nothing cool, mind you, we had to paint our crummy old townhouse back to white. All my beautiful painting, gone! See, our original plan had been to stay at the townhouse for the duration of school, so I joyfully painted the living room, kitchen, and bedrooms some great colors. I have to say, I kinda teared up when I painted over the living room, it was the best color. Ah well, I turned in our keys and didn't look back. I am glad to be done with that complex! Good riddance!
Our house is great. I love it. It will be better when I have everything put away, but for now the mess is confined to the garage and our closet (out of sight, out of mind, my motto!). With the nice weather, we've enjoyed evening walks (Keegan rides his bike) around the neighborhood and have really loved it. We have already met some neighbors and they are great too!
This last weekend Zach ran the Timberline Marathon up on Mt. Hood. It is a trail marathon, for those of you familiar with the area, I believe the course went on the Pacific Crest Trail. It was an insanely difficult marathon,dropping 3000 ft down the mountain. He described it as "boulder-hopping, log-jumping, root-tripping the whole way." It was tough, but he did great, finishing with a time of 4 hours 9 minutes and coming in 29th out of 400!! He also finished in 3rd place in his age group, so he gets an award in the mail.
I haven't yet found the camera cord to download pictures, but as soon as I do I will get some up. The boys and I are so happy to be home and even more happy to be back with Daddy!

7 comments:

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

I know exactly how you feel. Every time I get my house looking somewhat how I want it, we move. We miss you guys. Say hi to Zack and boys for us. The boys are beautiful!!
love,

Carrie and Boys

Anonymous said...

Wow Matt can appreciate the Mt. Hood Marathon. He sorta did that after summiting...lol 'Boulder-hopping' for sure. Are you guys loving the house??

Tara said...

I am glad the boys made it safe and sound back to their Daddy. I am SO SO SO excited to get there. I am going to call you tomorrow, I was going to tonight but did not want to interrupt family night. So, I'll talk to you tomorrow.

ollie said...

How nice to finally be in a house! Do you guys have a big back yard?

Autumn said...

Yeah, good riddance with the old. Bring in the new. You were obviously meant to move, and I'm sure will love it and meet many great new people. Goooo Zacher Bud! You are awesome - it must have something to do with being born on the 18th of September! What do you think? Okay, don't answer that, but you do share your birthday with a pretty cool sister. Really, I'm proud of all your hard work in running. I wish I could say that I could run a mile, but at this point I can barely walk that far without exhaustion totally taking over. Anyway, we love you guys and are excited to see you ALL again soon!

christa said...

Yay, you are alive...that's good to know. Sad you had to paint over it. I just found out I could do the same here, paint and then paint over it when we left...we've lived here for 4 years now and don't plan on staying that much longer...no point now.
You're in a house? Must see pics!

Danielle said...

so are you by us now???