J+Z

J+Z

K1

K1

K2

K2

K3

K3

About Me

My photo
The stories of our family of 5 living in the Oregon sunshine while Zach gets his PhD. We're on the downhill slide of grad school, so let's get ready to party......

Followers

Monday, November 15, 2010

{tis the season to give}

I don't know about where you live, but here in the greater Portland area, there are a lot of people suffering from the struggling economy. And although everyone struggles in different ways, there has definitely been an increase in the amount of begging at intersections, freeway on-ramps/off-ramps, stores, and almost any other place that gets a large amount of traffic. One of the many random blogs I follow had a guest post today that focused on how you can help these people and it really made an impact on me.

I'm not usually one to use this blog as a soapbox, but I was really touched by this because it's something I have encountered, and being a Christian, I want to help but am not sure how.

"I always have this train of thought: Do I hand him money? But then what will he spend it on? Do I drive through that McDonald's and buy him some lunch instead? Are they even homeless, because their clothes don't look shabby. Maybe it's just a scam. Maybe I better roll up my windows and hit the lock button on the doors."

Read more: http://www.joyshope.com/2010/11/i-heart-big-hearts.html#ixzz15PafR8E3
This is exactly how I think. And then I feel guilty as well.

I loved the idea of "Blessed to Bless" bags that you can stash in your car and hand out to these people that are in need. If it was me, I would love a toothbrush, some soap, a snack, anything to help make things a little more bearable. You can also find more ideas for giving humanitarian aid at this site.
So, I'm thinking that for our Family Home Evening next week, this is what we will be doing. Because we are blessed - and because we have been given much, we too must give.

4 comments:

ollie said...

I just read the guest post and it's an interesting idea, but I'm still not sure what I think of it. In the part of Louisville that we live in we get a large amount of people begging for money. The metro police actually put out an article explaining why our area gets the most beggers (our area is known to give more freely) and that it has actually caused an increase in crime. The police actually said it was better to give to organizations that help provide services to the homeless verses giving them money or other things. The other point they brought up was that a lot of homeless people tend to have mental problems and can become very aggressive if they do not get what they want from you. Always having kids with me definitely makes me a little more apprehensive especially since I have been confronted several times in a very frightening way. Just be careful and always listen to the spirit before giving one of the bags to a homeless person.

thepainterfamily said...

Jackie, thanks so much for sharing!

I really do like this idea and think that it could be adapted in so many ways! (giving to all different kinds of people in need!...goodness, I'd like to receive a bag like that :)

Sometimes it's just so nice to be able to help people in an immediate and very personal way!

Tara said...

What a great fam night. You are so thoughtful and thanks for sharing. We were talking about you guys last night. We want to plan a trip up there next year--will call soon!!

Peggy Glasmann said...

Uncle Terry always says that it is never wrong to give. In other words, what someone does with what you give is there issue, not yours. You just give. Ollie does have some good points. There are lots of places to give, so follow the spirit!