(the above pictures belong with this post....photobucket is retarded)
And oh how sweet it was! We just returned from the M.E. Harward family reunion 2008. It was such a blast! It was held down at the family cabin on the Alsea river - a gorgeous set of 10 acres with the best rapids on the river. Not to mention the Great-Grand-daddy crawdad, good fishing, the mermaid rock, and plenty of adventure. Thankfully, I was able to convince Zach to join us for the full three days. With school and all, he wasn't sure if he would be able to make it, but I am so glad he did!! The beginning of the week found us with 1 child. Many thanks to Aunt Jessie who came up and picked up Keegan for a little one-on-one time with Grandma, Grandpa, and the Aunts and Uncles at the home front! Keegan had a blast, and I don't think he missed us at all. In fact, one time I called to say hi and talk to him, and he threw a tantrum because he DIDN'T want to talk to me. Feel the love..........
But really, he had a fantastic time, and has already asked me numerous times if he can go back to Grandma's. Zach and I, meanwhile, thoroughly enjoyed a little one-on-one with our Kaydee-baby. It was so fun (and SO EASY) to have one kid for a few days! I really enjoyed spending time with Kayden, just taking it easy and going at his pace for once - usually we go at Keegan's pace, which is much faster!! We cuddled on the couch watching 'Signing Time' in the morning, shared Goldfish, and just had a great time. We missed Keegan a lot though, the house seemed so quiet (and so clean). We were glad to be reunited when we arrived at the Alsea cabin on Thursday!!
The reunion was great, it was so fun to see many of my cousins who are spread out so far these days! Keegan had TONS of fun playing with Hannah, who is almost the same age as him, and has the same vibrant personality. I think it is probably a good thing we don't live too close together, as they both have a mischievous streak! Kayden enjoyed napping with the sound of the river in the tent, and had fun attempting to walk across the bumpy ground. There was great food, lots of horseshoes, a little t-ball, 'dreamboats', a 4th of July reenactment of the Battle of Bunker Hill - complete with PVC pipes and marshmallow ammunition, a fun 'kids store' that Keegan LOVED, and a fantastic auction to raise $$ for the next reunion. Can I just brag for a minute? I belong to what has to be one of the most talented families around. The auction was incredible. Everyone brought something they had made, and it was really amazing to see the variety in the handmade items. Here is an idea of what we had:
- A gorgeous quilt, made by my Aunt Suzie who is nearly blind. She is an incredible woman. She also made numerous doll quilts and quilted wall hangings.
- A handmade child's rocking chair, made by my Uncle Terry.
- An adorable scrapbook layout made for scrapbooking the family reunion by Deveney
- Several vinyl-lettering tiles (one of which I got!!!) made by Niki & Megan.
- Kids aprons, made by Aunt Rosie, two of which I got for the boys (pirate themed!)
- Delicate crocheted doilies, made by Aunt Debbie
- A fantastic Family Preparedness notebook, put together by my cousin Christy - which I totally wanted, but was outbid.... *sigh*
- Several really really REALLY cute handmade tutus. Now, I know I don't need one of these, but I did get one....I'm hoping to tack it up in the bedroom for inspiration ;-) I know, I know, TMI.
Honestly, it was so cool. I wish our family could open up a store to peddle our wares, because I would want to buy everything! Trust me, you would too. Thanks to all the family who came - we had the best time, and can't wait til 2010 for the next one!!!
ps. the 4th of July was great too - we headed into Newport and watched the fireworks from a fantastic location right on the beach by the Bay Bridge (thank goodness for low tide, or our seats would have been under water). It was beautiful! Hurray for a free country and all those who have sacrificed their time & lives for us to have it that way!
7 years ago
7 comments:
Sounds like the reunion was lots of fun. Who plans these things? It sounds like a lot of work. The auction is a great idea!! Glad you had a great 4th, we spent our working at the park, Dan's parents were in charge. Maybe we'll have more fun next year.
It was great, but we were exhausted with the pace we set for Keegan before the reunion. It was so fun to have him. As I looked at the list I realized that I bought an awful lot at the reunion. Oh well. Fun times were had by all and it was way fun!!
Wow!! SOunds like a blast!! You need to post pictures of your great finds at the family auction!! How nice to have one child for a couple days!! I bet that was fun for everyone!
FUN!!! If your family ever wants to borrow Carter for a week, I am so down with that, they can totally take him!! Sounds like it was such a fun weekend!!
where do i start! what an awesome reunion! I don't know your fam at all, but i think I would LOVE them! you guys do the coolest things together! I also loved the description of time spent with kayden...so cute! what precious memories...all of them!
Glad you have been having a lot of fun! I am not a big family reunion fan! Sorry to hear of your finger. I mixed mine up in the beater making cookies with Brian and he told some Chinese girl on the phone that he needed to go because his friend (we were engaged) got hurt. I wasn't too happy with him. Glad to hear that Zach took great care of you!!!
We wish we could have been there with you partying. Sorry I didn't reply on the text. I don't get free texting, but I loved receiving one. We always love the phone photos too! Maybe in 2010 we'll be able to make it out with the boys. I guess that depends on how far the prices go up. Will they ever stop?
Post a Comment