What's that? My firstborn is old enough to be in school? No way.......... I can't believe it. And yet, I found myself setting an alarm last night before I went to bed. When was the last time I did that?! Probably not since college. Definitely not ever since having children. They are their own brand of alarm clock. But still, even though I was sure it couldn't really be happening, I set the alarm. I woke up on time. I got dressed and then woke up the boys (including Daddy, who stayed late this morning so he could see his big boy off to school). I helped the boys make their beds and got Kayden dressed. Keegan had picked out school clothes last night and got dressed this morning in record time.
We had eggs and orange rolls for breakfast. Daddy gave Keegan a special blessing this morning to start the school year off right (due to young mens last night, Daddy wasn't home until LATE). It was exciting, but kind of surreal. We hugged and kissed Daddy goodbye and Kayden and I walked Keegan to school. He was chattering the whole way about how excited he was and how he couldn't wait to learn about bees. (Just as long as he learns about the actual bug and not the birds and the bees, I am fine with it!)
(my personal favorite - not a cheesy grin, just looking like his happy self)
I took a few pictures, but didn't hang around too long. He was ready to be there and start his own adventure and I was ready for him to begin it too. Writing this now, I feel a little lonely without him and maybe a wee bit sad that he is on a new adventure that I am taking a backseat in. But mostly, I just can't believe how ready for this I know he is. I remember when he turned 2 years old, I kept telling Zach "I can't believe how OLD he is now." Two seemed so old. And now he is five and in school. Where did the time go?
Keegan, I have loved every second you have been at home with me (even the tough seconds) for the past 5 years. I am so excited for you to start school and so happy for all the friends you will make and the exciting new things you will learn. I'm so glad you told me this morning "Mom, I can't wait to come home and tell you ALL about my first day!" It made me so happy to know that you still want me to be a part of your adventures - I hope I always will be! I love you Keegan!!
7 years ago
7 comments:
Go Keegan Go!!!! You are such a sweet little guy Keegster. Thanks for all of the help that you were to your little cousins Harrison and Troy.
omg he is in kindergarten. I thought it was still 4!! wow He looks so cute in his desk. What school does he go to?
you can just see it on his face! He is ready to go!
It's these kind of posts that totally get me all choked up! Life is full of painful and beautiful and exciting and needful transitions.
It's just funny how this is so completely wonderful to Keegan, and a little touch saddish for mom!
He's so awesome Jackie...you did good. you did good!
I know what you mean. Sad but exciting. Congrats Keegan!
ok, this will sound lame, but I have a picture of Zach, Brian and Matt in the 1st grade. I think however, that he is a combination child. I see alot of you in your little son. I can't believe my little Zach has a son in kindergarten. WHere does all this time go. It just doesn't seem possible. Are you guys moving back here when Zach is done? Love ya, Mama Inglet
I went through the exact same thing the other day with my oldest... I can't remember the last time I set an alarm clock either, and yet here I am with a big boy needing to get up for school everyday.
When did we get so old!
Exciting, scary, sad, amazing, so many emotions sending your kid off to school. (not that I'd know) Looks like he's doing great!
Post a Comment